Monday, March 26, 2007

Vladmaster rocks the auditorium

I came in late, as usual, with a special greasy snack in hand and, to my pleasant surprise, found that i would not be watching five or more abstract films in one sitting. Instead, i would get to play with a cool toy. Well, i didn't really get to play with it, the directions were pretty clear, coming from an honest, NPR-type-voice from somewhere.

On the whole, I found the Vladmaster medium fresh and interesting. The experience is a very controlled one however, and put me in a meditative, obedient, almost hypnotic state. Especially with the lack of blinking, my narcolepsy got me a couple times as i caught myself dropping the Vladmaster. For this reason, i went ahead in the slides a few times, and listened to the soundtrack as i clicked through to the right spot, and really viewed the things as two seperate works. From Vladamir's comments, it appears that the processes are a bit separate, but she does still write the stories.

My favorite disc was the one about the construction equipment. An amazingly inventive story that begins with a fairly abstract picture of crumpled construction paper with an airplane's shadow on it, it also provides proof for the effectiveness of the authoritative power of direct eye-to-lens contact. It was a story that was made up, but told in a TLC, UFO sighting style, even referencing reports on the evening news that left me questioning why i had never seen anything about this event before.

I believe the soft miniature scenes were also effective in throwing the audience into another world where they couldn't quite make everything out (i already referenced the fuzzy first picture) and had to listen to the voice to help tie everything together.

This medium is totally fresh, but, again, it's filmed with a 16 mm camera, which is pretty crazy. Everything abstract seems to be in that format, one which i have technical difficulties with. I want to do digital stuff like Rodriguez, where i can be a rebel and not have to worry about dirt in the shutter gate that ruins a roll of film.

No comments: